Wednesday 7 November 2018

Just a few pics

Finally sorted through my best pics from our recent trip to Cornwall so here is a selection of them.

Black redstart



The only birds we saw were a couple of 1st winter/female type birds in the rocky cove at the bottom end of Kenidjack valley. The were very mobile and I only managed to get these pics after a scramble along the cliff edge and hiding behind rocks! Always great birds to see.

Corvids





Black birds are always a nightmare to photograph especially against a dark background. I managed to get some 'flight-shot' settings sorted for my camera but didn't have them right when a chough flew right over my head in Nanquidno. I wasn't too worried as I thought I'd get another chance, I didn't for the rest of the week!
Ravens were pretty plentiful and always nice to see especially as they are so rare in Norfolk. You can't beat that cronking call along the coast.

Raptors

Buzzards were everywhere, kestrels were plentiful and the odd sparrowhawk but it was slightly odd without the regular sightings of red kite and marsh harrier that we are used to at home.





I spotted the young kestrel sat on the rock and thought I'd see how close I could get while taking pictures all the time. The bird seemed completely unconcerned by my presence and in the end I was just able to sit and watch the bird from close range until it pounced onto a beetle in the grass.

The male was pretty unconcerned too but did allow me quite as close. It wasn't until I got home that I realised that the bird was ringed with an orange colour-ring. Apparently this bird is a regular at Pendeen. 



This young sparrowhawk was chasing a blackbird around a patch of gorse but after an unsuccessful hunt is sat briefly and I managed to get a couple of shots. The original was completely over-exposed but I think I have rescued it


Little things

Every little noise, movement or twitch in the bushes always seemed to turn out to be either a wren, dunnock or robin!





but every now and again, it turned out to be something a bit better. We never found a mega but it always a good day when you see either a firecrest or yellow-browed warbler.

Firecrests were pretty reliable and we managed to see at least one of every day of the trip. As with most small birds in thick cover they were a nightmare to get photos of but I was really pleased with this one. Shows off quite nicely how elusive they can be at times. This bird in Nanquidno showed really well in front of us but when it was right out in the open it was too close for the camera!


Yellow-browed warblers didn't seem to have arrived en-masse but we did see several. This was the best one we had and was found at the bottom of Nanquidno by Rachael. She initially found it bathing in the stream with 2 chiffchaffs before is sat in the bushes to preen and then disappearing into the tall sycamores.



No comments:

Post a Comment